i’m thinking what if i properly abandoned this blog or maybe stay just to follow some science blogs and some of my friends or something i don’t know and maybe one day come back with the photo blog thing if i can ever be arsed to edit some photos or maybe not because nothing really makes sense anymore and everything is pointless. and yeah with all the shit i’m going through in my life at the moment and very likely for quite a few moments more a fucking tumblr blog does seem kind of irrelevant i don’t even know why i made this post.
Coping Tool Kit/Calm Box/Self-Care Package: It is often helpful for clients to have a central place to keep items that will help them cope, and to prevent regression after termination. I have clients decorate their box and fill it with anything they feel will help to look back on.
- Distractors: When anxiety first starts to build it is sometimes helpful to do a distractor task to keep anxiety at a more manageable level. Examples are fidgets, sensory activities, puzzles, brain teasers, coloring/drawing materials, etc.
- Coping Tools: Include multiple options of coping tools that help manage anxiety (ex. emotional regulation activities, comforting items, meditation/breathing exercises, etc.)
- Reminders of Supports: Photos and letters from family/friends. Encouraging letters from yourself could also be a nice addition.
- Means of Self-Expression: My view is that use of the box for distraction/coping should be followed by some means of self-expression or processing. Suggestions of items to include are a journal, art supplies/sketch book, etc.
- Resource List: Include a list of community resources, referrals, hotline numbers, etc. incase they become necessary.
- Grounding Techniques: Write down a few of your favorite grounding techniques to do when needed. Click here for suggestions.
- Therapy Materials: Interventions, work done in sessions, note from therapist, photos of important sand trays, etc.
- Self-Care: Include self-care items as well as self-care reminders (ex. calendar, self-care goals, etc.)
Does anyone have any other suggestions for what helps you or your clients?
Not cosplay-related, but I know there are a lot of cosplayers (and people in general) with anxiety, and social anxiety!
Hopefully a kit like this can help those of you dealing with anxiety to help manage it. Cons can be big, busy, overwhelming places even without anxiety - a self-care kit (especially one modified for conventions) could be a really good way to help keep the anxiety manageable in such situations! I hope this can help at least some of you out there!
Reblog for everyone with anxiety. What also might help as a distractor could be an audiobook with a very calm voice and I heard of a bottle with a syrupy liquid and glitter pigments in it, that you can shake and then watch the pigments settle slowly used in anxiety therapy.
Editors 2005/2006 photoshoot
Amsterdam, Netherlands (submitted by tabitravels)
Salzburg, Austria (submitted by kiev-poznan)
wearescientists: “Two Men, Two Bananas” – Keith and @timwheeler1977 sweat the task ahead at @cmittendorfer’s stag do
The Mid-Atlantic Ridge in Iceland. It is the only place on Earth you can see the MAR above water. It marks the boundary of the North American and Eurasian plates.
The Helix Nebula is a vast glowing cloud of Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen, and other elements some 500 light years away toward the constellation Aquarius and spans about 2.5 light-years.
The nebula is made up of gas ejected from a (blueish) dying star, which is located in the center of the nebula. The center part of the nebula shows many of drop-like “knots,” which are formed when hot gas thrown off from the surface of the star collides with the cooler surrounding material.
The Helix Nebula is one of the closest and so one of the apparently largest planetaries known: Its apparent size covers an area of 16 arc minutes diameter; it’s halo extends even further to 30 arc minutes (almost the moon’s apparent diameter). It is an example of a planetary nebula created at the end of the life of a Sun-like star.